Monday, February 06, 2012

Scared of Pokemon

At the moment, Oscar is going through a "scared" phase. He's scared of the dinosaurs (though not so much anymore-we've read a few books to help that one!) he's scared of the crocodile, he's scared of the dark, he's scared of the hoover and hand-dryers...and scared of Charmander(pokemon). He's a cuddly toy!
However, sometimes i'm not sure if it's just used as an excuse. These fears seem to get ten times worse when he's asleep in bed. He'll wake me up a couple times a night wanting a cuddle because he was afraid something was going to get him. I'm not sure if he's trying to get out of bed and have a hug and sneak into my bed or if he's genuinely afraid.

I know it's a healthy part of development for children and a lot of children do have fear of silly things and most will grow out of them quickly. This has been going on for months though and by golly if you know me, you know I need my sleep!

I try not to be fearful of anything myself whilst I'm around Oscar. I grew up in a military family, and I was the only girl, so I learnt to be tough pretty quickly on even if inside I was screaming with fear. So if i see a spider (which im not afraid of per se, they're just creepy little fucks) I'll act calm and just get rid of it.
I remember once, my stepdad found a spider in the bath and frightened the life out of me by grabbing the back of my head and shoving it in the spiders face. When i screamed for him to let go, he did and then called me a sissy. Since then i'll happily keep the creepy little feckers around so long as they don't go crawling on me!
But I just hope I can help Oscars fears go away, or at least him grow out of them. No mother likes seeing their babies hurt whether it's physical or emotional.

I'm not about to go shoving his face into a spiders but I do hope this doesn't persist for too much longer. I would though, prefer him to show his emotions and fears rather than keep them pent up inside like mine. It comes in handy sometimes so I don't look like a Div but most times it's just better to show you're afraid.
Gosh you learn a lot from kids don't you!?

No comments:

Post a Comment